Ducotyledonous weed - the scourge of field growers, gardeners and gardeners. It is not planted, but it grows. They fight him with all available means, but he survives. I wish cultivated plants had such a will to live!
If you ask scientists, dicot weeds are wild plants that live on agricultural land. If you ask summer residents and gardeners, then … Probably, it's better not to repeat what they say.
Why are these weeds called dicots? The name speaks for itself - their embryo has not one, but two cotyledons.
Like other plants, weeds come in annuals and perennials.
Representatives of annual dicotyledonous weeds
The brightest and most malicious representatives of their group:
- Woodlice, also known as chickweed. The growing season is short, no more than 2 months. It can produce 2-3 generations per season. Stem creeping, branched. One plant produces about 15,000 seeds. The seeds live in the soil for 5–7 years. May root by stem.
- Wild radish. An early spring weed. One of the first to appear on backyardplots in the spring. Blooms from May to September. Seed germination in soil - up to 15 years.
- Cornflower blue. A beautiful dicotyledonous weed. Flowers in all shades of blue and purple. Likes crops of cereal crops. One cornflower flower can produce 1500 seeds. Germination in soil - up to 10 years.
- Highlander bird. In the middle lane grows everywhere. Resistant to trampling and growing rapidly. It has a long (60–70 cm) branched stem and a thick root.
- Queen. Soil fertility indicator. Does not grow on poor soils. The most common species in Russia is the sprawling quinoa.
- Field mustard. Annual dicotyledonous weed with yellow flowers up to 1 meter high. The plant is very prolific. Can produce 20,000 seeds, germination up to 10 years.
- Sow thistle. A plant with pale yellow flowers. Blooms from July to September. Height - up to 1 meter. Good honey plant.
Shepherd's bag. A low, inconspicuous, but very productive weed. One plant produces from 50 to 70 thousand seeds that germinate at different times
Annual weeds, of course, cause great harm and inconvenience. But representatives of another group are much worse.
Dicotyledonous perennial weeds
They take nutrients from cultivated plants and shade them. Vegetables have not yet had time to sprout, but they are already sticking out above the surface of the soil. Let's meet - perennial dicotyledonous weeds.
Dandelion. Bright yellow beauty. Grows among cereals and garden crops.The root is long, taproot. Blooms in May-June. The seeds are carried by the wind
- Field bindweed (birch). Root weed. Blooms from June to mid-September. The plant can produce up to 10,000 seeds. Propagated by seeds and rhizomes.
- Wormwood. The most bitter plant in Russia. It grows along roads, in vegetable gardens and forest edges. Height - from 50 cm to 2 m. Propagated by seeds.
- Sosnovsky's hogweed. The most harmful dicotyledonous weed. Very large: from 1 to 5 meters. Seeds remain viable for 2-3 years. Roots can be up to 2 meters deep.
- Common gout. Height up to 1 meter. The plant grows very fast. Grows only in rich soils. Distributed throughout the middle lane.
- Chamomile is odorless. It can be either one year old or two year old. The flowers are white with a yellow center. Does not have the characteristic odor of daisies.
Fight - man against weeds
Efficiency is important in the fight against annual dicotyledonous weeds. If you do not let them seed, you can completely rid your site of uninvited guests in 2-3 years.
This method will not work with long-term representatives of their class.
Tricks and ways to fight
Let's list the ways to deal with dicotyledonous weeds:
- Mechanical. Depending on the size of the plot, a hoe, a flat cutter, a cultivator, a walk-behind tractor are used.
- Chemical. System and contactherbicides.
- Biological. The use of biogenic preparations, phytopathogenic microorganisms and viruses. Use of birds.
You can use these methods of fighting separately or use them one by one.
In small areas, mulching the soil with a dense, opaque material brings good results. Almost all types of weeds can be eradicated in 1-2 years, although some weeds take longer.
The dicotyledonous weed is not only an uninvited freeloader. Among them are many medicinal plants. Many weeds love to be eaten by pets.