Modern realities require constant development from a person. If some twenty years ago higher education was considered exceptional and was not available to everyone, now two, three, or even more diplomas are not uncommon. The availability of such modern technology as a distance learning system makes it possible to implement ambitious plans.
What is it?
The very name of the system prompts the answer to the question. The word "remote" implies the ability to study remotely, that is, it does not imply the obligatory presence in a certain place at a specially allotted time for this. Modern communications in the form of a global network, audio and video equipment, and satellite communications make it possible to implement this type of training.
LMS is a distance learning system that can be described as complex, covering a wide range of software and hardware communications, guidelines and organizational measures to provide students with educational information. It also includescarrying out the necessary verification of the acquired knowledge. For these purposes, computer networks are used.
It should be noted that such systems do not set themselves the task of replacing the traditional face-to-face form, but only strive to integrate into it as efficiently as possible. The formation of this type of blended learning allows you to positively influence the quality of education.
Distance learning system has a number of undeniable advantages over other stationary educational forms. These include the following:
- opportunity to study in comfortable conditions - at home or in the office;
- individual approach to each student;
- development of such important qualities as organization and independence;
- significant savings in time and effort;
- availability of communication with the teacher - the opportunity to ask questions of interest in an individual mode;
- personal due dates based on student ability.
Steps and process of system management
The distance learning system includes several stages:
- first - the process of learning with the help of programs;
- the second is the inclusion of some elements of classroom education, during which various forms of control of acquired knowledge are used;
- third - independent work, including the search and selection of the necessary information to do homeworkassignments.
Interaction with students, as already noted, is done using global networks. The development of information training programs and materials necessary for the implementation of this process is quite expensive or requires a lot of time and special skills. Therefore, to create a site, it is necessary to use the same thing that the remote control training system in question requires. This will allow regulation and control of educational content and will provide an opportunity for its rapid development. This purpose is served by systems that allow you to manage content - Content management systems (CMS). With their help, you can create, distribute and manage information. They make it possible to form and regulate the structure of the site, the design of its individual pages and navigation.
The meaning of the concept of distance education
The e-learning system is a deployed complex of various software products and solutions, some of which are located on the server, some on the personal computers of students. The interaction between them, based on data transfer, occurs through the global network. All information related to the educational process (schedule, programs, statements, curricula) is stored on the server of the educational institution.
Here the purpose of delivery of educational materials is realized by electronic means. Face-to-face meetingsteachers and students now serve to revitalize education and include answers to complex questions, discussion of emerging problems, discussions, etc. Such a system of electronic distance learning makes it possible to more actively involve students in the process of mastering knowledge.
Distribution of remote form of education
In the modern world, there are a considerable number of platforms that allow you to organize e-learning. Their country of origin, as a rule, is the USA, but some time ago they also appeared in Russia. All existing programs can be conditionally divided into two categories: commercial - closed source, free - open source. One of them is the distance learning system Moodle.
Features of LMS Moodle
The popularity of this educational complex can be explained by its versatility and wide resources, using which you can create your own courses, completing them with lecture texts, problem books, presentations and other auxiliary material. Any type of web browser is suitable for using LMS Moodle, which makes it accessible to both the teacher and the student. In other words, the system acts not only as a way to organize interactive interaction, but also as an environment for the formation of various categories of educational material.
The author of the first version of Moodle is Australian teacher Martin Dougiamas, who introduced it to the public in 2002. It was intended for the universityeducation, but later became successfully used to organize the educational process in schools and corporations.
The distance learning system Moodle involves the formation of an object-oriented dynamic learning environment. This means that its application is not limited to any one program, but forms a special educational area suitable not only for interaction between the teacher and students, but also for supporting full-time forms of education. It can also be used to organize and conduct regular online courses.
Moodle LMS has many advantages. Among them are the following:
1. The free-to-use option, which does not require licenses, provides free updates and software.
2. The program code is open, which allows you to make your own adjustments, taking into account the characteristics of national education or other needs.
3. Continuous development and improvement of the software.
4. Easy to install, update and operate. Easy to install on a regular computer, can work on all operating systems.
5. Functionality - allows you to manage the entire educational process.
Implementation of LMS in the practice of Russian organizations
The Russian Railways distance learning system, developed specifically for the personnel of Russian railways, is the most famous among those used today. It was created in order to unify the requirements of the educational program, in accordance withwhich trains Russian Railways employees on labor protection and tests their knowledge.
Its goal is to create a training system with minimal financial costs that will increase the level of knowledge of Russian Railways personnel in the field of labor protection. All of this is reflected in principles that include:
- creating a continuous learning process for staff;
- planning further development based on research and assessment of competencies;
- possibility to make changes to teaching materials and programs based on the analysis of statistics of the control of the learning process;
- simplicity and accessibility of the educational complex;
- flexibility of training materials and the reality of their adaptation, taking into account the characteristics of the Russian Railways labor protection service;
- extensive opportunities for evaluation and improvement of course materials.
An interesting example of the control of acquired knowledge through LMS is demonstrated by the distance learning system KASKOR. This is a continuation of the one described above, designed to control the knowledge of students - personnel of Russian railways. KASKOR is an abbreviation that stands for: a corporate automated system for controlling the knowledge of employees related to ensuring traffic safety based on LMS.
Used by KASKOR as part of the performance appraisal of employees, quizzes and internal audit of knowledge. The program contains criteria based on which you candetermine the degree of readiness of the employee to perform his duties, namely:
- documentation knowledge;
- complex of professional skills;
- level of psychological readiness.
Russian version of LMS
The best option, common in the Russian-speaking environment, is the Prometheus distance learning system. This complex allows you to organize a full-fledged educational process, including an independent test of acquired knowledge. It is designed for large student flows. LMS "Prometheus" can be used both as an independent system and as an auxiliary tool for traditional stationary forms.
The distance learning system includes a number of automated functions:
- redistribution of opportunities and access rights to system management and educational resources;
- learning process management;
- maintaining and monitoring user activity logs participating in the learning process;
- Global learning and assessment.
LMS "Prometheus" includes a number of components that allow you to automate all the work. Among them are such as the subsystem of registration, payments, orders, group management, libraries, testing, etc.
Summarizing, we note that modern technologies open up a wide range of opportunities for everyone who seeks self-development and self-improvement. It's up to you to find your own system among them.